Saturday, September 01, 2007

Myspace.com for writers

Seems all I'm doing these days is posting links here, or pictures. (That's okay, right?)

Here's a link to a New York Times article on how myspace works for writers.

It prompted me to work on my myspace page, which is myspace.com/penonfire.

I don't even know if the link works! But I did a search on my name and my book title on myspace and found someone listed me as their hero. Me! And at least one other person was alternating reading my book and James Patterson. And that also prompted me to work on my page.

Then I went to foodcandy.com and signed up there. There's no end to networking as an author, and it seems it could very easily take over doing any actual writing.

Travis is back in school next week, which is when I dust off the cobwebs from Starletta's Kitchen and get back to work.

3 comments:

Writergirl said...

You know, a friend of mine suggested myspace.com to me and I said no. It's kind of left a bad taste in my mouth the few times I've looked, but after reading the article you linked, I wonder if I, too haven't been going about it all wrong. I like my blog on google, but maybe I'll add something. I'm not sure. I'm going to do some searching around the site and see if I can find something more literate than I had seen previously. The author of the Times article wasn't the only one stumbling through drunken pages of miscreants.

Unknown said...

I've never been a huge fan of myspace either, but I attended a session at the last SCBWI conference about building a platform, and the presenter was all for it. TONS of agents, editors and publishers have myspace pages, and if you're one of their "friends," it's just one more way to make that all important connection.

SO! I had a friend help me redesign my myspace page. It's going to match my new blog (Not finished — still quite a few bugs — but it's up at www.thespiralnotebook.com).

calladhor said...

I've often toyed with the idea of Myspace, but seeing as I already run a Facebook page and a Blogger Blog on the progress of my writings, I've always though that more repetition would be overkill.
An interesting article that bears thinking about. Thanks.

Dave M.