Saturday, July 26, 2008

Reading John Irving and talking with John Ware

Anyone reading anything good? I'm listening to John Irving's A Widow for One Year and hate to see it end. I love it. I love good novels--great novels--with main characters who are writers. This one has five writers--four novelists and one sassy journalist--who are great characters. Irving is a bit obsessed with breasts, but then again, who isn't?

What book made you feel that way, that you just hated to see it end?

(FYI, one of my favorite literary agents in the entire universe--John Ware--was on the show again the other day. My podcast guru Rob Roy posted it so give it a listen. It's podcast here. If you search his name, you can listen to older shows featuring the great agent.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have to say "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close." I absolutely love that book for so many different reasons which I won't go into, but I didn't want it to end because of the main character, Oskar. He is a nine year old boy who is one of my favorite characters I've encountered in literature. I didn't want to finish the book because I didn't want to have to leave Oskar. So to help me cope, each quarter I introduce him to my students so that they too may have the pleasure of meeting him.